Friday, September 02, 2005

I've Come for Bread and Bullets...

Hello everyone... I do apologize for being away for so long, but I guess a hurricane as powerful as Katrina can do that to you. To answer all the main questions up front, we made it through OK. Our house lost some shingles and has many more shingles that are curled from the wind. Luckily none of my trees fell.... Now that I've calmed your nerves, I'll proceed to my post and explain the title.


Thursday Morning approx. 7:30 A.M. The phone rings and it's my Mother-in-Law... She asks me if I'm ready for the hurricane... I'm like what hurricane... there's a hurricane? No I'm not ready.

During the day I start looking at the news and see this "thing" that is coming at us...

Friday Morning approx. 7:30A.M. the phone rings and it's my Mother-In-Law again... Are you ready for the hurricane? No we haven't done anything yet... Short conversation and we hang up. Phone rings again and I think it's Nana (Mother-in-Law) again. Nope... It's my Mom. Are you ready for the hurricane? Geez what is this thing coming... I think to myself. Nope we haven't done anything.

I hang up and turn on the TV and realize that what's coming is something MAJOR!!!

WOW Take a look at that... the perfect storm, a category 5... In church on Sunday the pastor gave us some information on the spiritual meaning of the name Katrina. It means "cleansing" GEEZ!! How prophetic is that. Sunday I had a vision or so I thought. In my vision i saw New Orleans under water, where only rooftops were visible, specifically I saw Bourbon Street with deep water in it... A vision is a new thing to me, I must be honest and say I believed it to be my imagination or a daydream... Anyway the storm came and our power went out at 6A.M. on Monday morning. We decided to pack the family, the dog and a few bags up and drive over to my parents house because they still had power and cartoons most importantly and we had not prepared well enough with radio and such to keep track of what was going on. We left our house at about 11 A.M. and had only really gotten one wave of rain from Kristina but were getting pretty good wind gusts. We stayed glued to the TV and reportsand watched as the devistation unfolded...

These pictures speak more than any of my word could...





























































And the Pictures that say the most to me.....



This makes me want to cry for him...




Please make no mistake, there are thousands of innocent people dead from New Orleans and the Gulf Coast region. My heart cries out for these people and their families. I cannot begin to comprehend the realization of not having a home or job to go back to, that I'd be displaced from the place I called home for an indefinent time... This hurricane has been catastrophic and it's effects will be wide spread and felt for many years to come. I do not believe New Orleans will ever be the city it was. Is that a good or bad thing? I don't know. Did God allow or cause this "cleansing" storm to come this way? I don't know. I'll never claim to know. Right now I simply pray for these people, and hope that you do the same...


After the hurrican had passed I was amazed to see all the flooding that had occured in New Orleans, but was somewhat shocked to see that the Franch Quarter, and Central Business District did not have any water in it... TANGENT ALERT--- This makes sense though, because this is the oldest part of the city and where the fort was originally established because it was surrounded by water and had a great range of vision from all directions... A great place for a fort, not a CITY... Then I heard the news talking about how the water was slowly rising in the French Quarter, I couldn't believe it!!! In my minds eye, I could see the spiritual battle between the "cleansing" and Satan as Satan tried to preserve the VooDoo Capital and the French Quarter with all it's sinful nature, as the "cleansing" water slowly consumed these places. In the end, I saw my vision a reality. I believe 5-6 feet of water on Bourbon Street itself. Now what I hear is that New Orleans has begun to smell like the filth of the sin it contains.

The things that baffle me most are the looters... not all the looters mind you... I can understand breaking in somewhere for water, food, diaper... the things that you need to take care of your family. I would do the same thing myself. I am sure of that. What I cannot understand are the people who are grabbing Clothing by the rack, Stacks of shoes, Big TV's, Radios... Look at this picture...
"What size do you wear?"





Moving on...



In the aftermath, we find ourselves in Baton Rouge, having more than doubled in population. There are multiple families living in most houses. All the rental properties are taken. Houses are being purchased for cash. Traffic is a virtual gridlock. I find myself taking every backroad I ever knew as a teen age driver living here. There are long lines to buy gas, when you can find some available. There are countless unfounded rumors, about carjackings, looting, rioting etc. These things don't seem to be happening but the rumors are flying around. The police forces are taxed from keeping order and dealing with the added population and intersections with no lights. The grocery stores are overcrowed and understocked with food and supplies. The future is just uncertain... With all this in mind we come to my title...

I walked into my parents house last night on my way home from work and announced, I've come for Bread and Bullets. I grabbed our loaf of bread we left there when we came over during the power outage, and grabbed ammunition for my 9mm and 38 spl. I actually did leave with bread and bullets.

3 Comments:

Blogger krysten said...

Funny to see some of the same pictures I put up on mine...we must go to the same news sites!
;-)

Glad to know you guys are ok.

Good post, you were able to say a lot of what i was thinking, particularly about New Orleans' needing a "cleansing"...that is amazing about the name Katrina. wow.

As I watched the news in the hotel room in Florida, and saw it heading right towards NO, all i could think of was the quote "This town needs an enema!". I'm sure Jason Thomas would be proud of me for that one...haha!

12:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Pat! I really enjoyed reading your blog! That's so cool about your vision on Sunday... It seems like more and more Christians are beginning to see things through the heart of God. I am so glad you guys are ok, but I know all of the inconveniences are going to be frustrating. It would be one thing if lots of people came to Baton Rouge to add to the economy (more business for you!) but these people have nothing and only take away. I pray that God will stretch everyone's resources and patience in the coming weeks and months.

7:11 PM  
Blogger Patrick J. Mehaffey said...

Thank you guys for checking in... the saga continues daily... Something large is happening in Louisiana I feel. Something spiritually large... that's the only way I can describe it.

10:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home